
Ethan, our oldest has a lot of strikes against him. When he was younger he was diagnosed with ADD. We decided after much deliberation to try meds and they have worked wonderfully with little to no side effects.
When he was 7 I went to his doctor and said "I know Ethan has ADD but there is something else going on." I literally said "my son is weird and I can't figure it out." So off to the developmental paediatrician where we first heard of Aspergers Syndrome.
AS is a form of autism. Those afflicted with it have very little in the way of social skills, often have a motor skill delay and problems at school. They also tend to have very narrowed areas of focus. Ethan has many different obsessions but books are his life. He needs them like he needs air. Even if it's just holding it while we go shopping. Ethan also has few friends, walks on his tip toes, can't ride a bike (he'll be 10 soon), needs help with dressing and grooming (although that is improving), He is a master of the english language and speaks as though he is much older than he is. He is extremely sensitive to loud noises. He covers his ears when even the hair dryer is on. He also has extremes when it comes to his abilities in school. His reading for example is the 98th percentile of other kids his age but his math is in the 35th. There are a lot of discrepancies where that is concerned. So much so that he was recently labeled as having a learning disability. That being said he is a wonderful little boy who doesn't let what he has get in his way of being happy and as successful as he can.
So when I see Ethan acomplish something that is so hard for him I can't help but want to celebrate. Can you imagine my happiness when I beheld my sons latest math test. It was on division (which I remember struggling with) and didn't my son score a 26 out of a possible 27 on it!?! We were all so thrilled! I think his teacher wanted to do a dance! I may just frame it! We really worked hard with him on this one because he has struggled so much; so it's great when you see all his hard work finally pay off. I am so proud of my little boy. He has so much against him and yet he perseveres! So hats off to my hero of the day; my gorgeous, handsome and brilliant little man; ETHAN!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:
Hurray for Ethan! Hurray for Mom and Dad!
Everyone do a happy dance!
Post a Comment