Tonight we are attending a 50th anniversary open house of a couple that we attend Church with. I was fortunate enough to have been able to do their portraits while I was still at the studio and they have asked me to take some pictures tonight as well. It got me thinking of what it takes to make a marriage last that long.
First things first, divorce cannot be an option. I know it's not on the table for Shawn and I so I assume they subscribe to the same thinking. How can you really expect it to succeed if there is a back door you can duck out of when the going gets tough?
Second, a deep love for the Gospel and keeping Christ in your marriage. I know in particular this couple have a deep love for Christ. They read the scriptures daily and have dedicated their marriage to promoting the gospel. It gives you that eternal perspective when you think that your marriage is not only something to have in this life but throughout the eternities.
Thirdly, a sense of humour. I heard a quote once that said "If you are going to look back at something and laugh about it; you might as well laugh about it now!" I can imagine how many times they have looked back on their lives together and found many hilarious things to laugh at.
Fourth, your posterity. Children, grandchildren...they are the ties that bind. i actually believe they are great grandparents now. I hope I live long enough to see great grandbabies.
Fifth, I think you need a bit of stubborness. Not in a bad way but you need that sort of drive to get you through the hard stuff. We've all experienced hard times and it's always better when you shoulder up and keep on going. What would happen if we all laid down and just let the bad stuff take over?
Sixth, realistic expectations. I think television and movies have really warped our sense of what love is. It isn't all passion and excitement. I actually look forward to the days with us on the porch, eating mushy food and rocking in our chairs complaining about the younger generations. It's remembering the little things. It's being there when the other one is sick. It's supporting your spouse. You get out of it what you put into it in the end.
I know there are a lot of other pieces of sage advice that you all have. I would love to hear them in the comments section. For now I have little ones that demand my attention so I cannot continue. But I will close with this. Shawn and I are celebrating our 11th anniversary this year. I am so grateful to be his wife. I know how lucky I am to have found someone so good for me. I only hope I am that good for him. So cheers to 11 years and to an eternity more of them! Love you hun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Aww, this is so sweet!
Post a Comment