What is it with the incessant need that kids have to lie? At this point we haven't dealt with any major lies in this house ala "this party is adult supervised and there will be no drinking" kind of vibe but it happens all the same.
Take this morning for instance. I must have asked Ethan 5 times to brush his teeth. Every time I would say "Ethan have you brushed your teeth yet?" and he would reply that yes he had....Well he obviously hadn't because his toothbrush was still dry and his mouth smelled like my kitchen garbage can. So after the last bald faced lie I called him out on his lying behavior.
There is not much in the world that a mother hates more than when her kids lie. And they all do it, it's human nature I guess....but man do I hate it! And they start so young! The "I didn't do it's" and the "I don't know"'s start pretty soon after they learn how to talk. Is there some innate reflex that tells their little minds that Mom is stupid enough to believe that the ice cream on the couch just walked itself over there? Do they think we will not figure it out? It's worse when there is more than 1 of them....because then you are never 100% sure who the culprit is.....and they team up too. "Look if neither of us cracks then she can't punish us because she won't know who to punish!!!!"
So we had a nice long talk today about how it's not good to lie. Laid on the the guilt a little thicker than normal but I think I got through to them.....if only for today. (if only for the next hour? LOL)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Fun, fun, fun! Our little angels definitely give us lots of opportunities to teach them don't they?
They will remember what you teach them now and hopefully remember it before they tell a big whopper in the future.
hehe, I did my share of "i didn't do it"
Post a Comment