Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A decade in the making

This past weekend we celebrated our son, Ethan's 10th birthday. It's hard to believe so much time has gone by so quickly! It feels like yesterday that we discovered we were pregnant! Well our little man has grown up into a fine young boy and we are so incredibly proud of him. He has had so many challenges come his way but he always manages to persevere. In his own "Ethanesque" way of course! I am so excited for what awaits Ethan in the future but so sad to realize what has already become the past. I saw Bear in the Big Blue House on the other day and I showed it to Ethan. He LOVED that show when he was tiny. That tidbit of information appalled my 10 year old. The fact that he ever liked a "baby show" was apparently too much. He is still pretty snuggly which I am grateful for. Not sure how much longer I am gonna get the mommy love. It is sure to become an embarrassment soon enough. He has come along way from my chunky little baby boy. Oh to have just one day again where he could be tiny. We would have our afternoon nap on the couch together just like we used to....and he would actually eat decent food! LOL (for those who don't know....Ethan is VERY picky....another nice aspie trait!) I miss having him actually fit in my arms. He's all legs now! I know everyone reading this will want to tell me to have another but after 2 great kids....I am not sure my luck will hold out on me a third time. Plus there are genetic things to consider....but all I know is the day my son was born was one of the best days of my life and I have been so blessed to be his mom.

Anyway, back to the party!! We had lots of people show up to celebrate his big 1-0. There was the LaFrance's and the Corkum's of course but there were also a lot of friends there. Even two from his old school which really meant a lot to me. Making friends does not come easy to kids with asperger's and Ethan is particularly afflicted with this attribute. The one even wanted Ethan to come to his house and play as soon as possible and the two of them were planning sleepovers and stuff. We had a lot of family friends as well. Our real estate agent even stopped my to wish Ethan a happy birthday and bring him a card! That was so sweet! It was great to spend the weekend with the people we care about the most. It ended up being split into a 2 day event because of work commitments but in some ways that made it nicer. Everyone enjoyed the pool and the slide which was great. This was our first pool party and it worked out well. I hope in the near future we can have an open house and have everyone come and see our accomplishments....will have to see. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this a special day!

Ethan asked my friend Shari to make his cake. it's a book (fittingly) and it has his 2 favorite Pokemon characters on it.....I don't know anything about Pokemon though to tell you who they are!
Opening Presents!
Blowing out the candles!
Hanging out on his new pool lounger!
Jenna thoroughly enjoying the lounger herself!
Marni and Dave
Opening Presents part 2

2 comments:

Summer said...

Hurray for pictures! You are getting the hang of this!

The longing for baby time still lasts even when they are ten! Great! Looks like everyone had fun.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry guys, mine will come soon enough haha ;)