Thursday, September 18, 2008

My "little" job

So once the kids are back in school again for the year I get a little job to keep me busy while the kids are in school. This year I started working at Quiznos a few blocks from my house.

So far it has been a rough go. I am absolutely exhausted and I don't think I am doing as well as I should be. Maybe I am being hard on myself but there are moments every day where I feel like the STUPIDEST person on the planet. I thought a place like Quiznos would be easy but I was so wrong. There are like 30 different recipes you have to know by heart, then there is the "easy" register which I always manage to mess up, and all the food prep that keeps you busy throughout the day.

I'm working Mon to Fri from 9-2:30. So while it's only a 5 1/2 hour shift I am pooped at the end for being on my feet the whole time and I never have a break. We're just too busy.

Now that being said I really like the people I work with. I could not have a more accommodating boss. I have 2 days off next week because the kids have a PA day and Ethan has an eye appointment. I have learned a lot and feel like I have made strides...Just wish it came to me easier.

And then there are the aches and pains of us 30 somethings. When you're 21 nothing hurts and once you hit 30 it all hurts. My wrist is in a permanent state of pain and my back has knots up and down it. I am going to have to invest in better shoes. And maybe find a way to get gloves over a wrist brace. LOL That should be fun!

I got my first paycheque today though and that was a nice treat. I'm going to get a few things for myself...all that work deserves a little treat. I am thinking a nice purse would be awesome.

So I'm gonna tough it out a little while longer. If anyone knows of a job that pays decent and requires much less pain...let me know and my views might change! LOL

Anyway, this new job has me exhausted! Hope this message finds you all doing well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel
Just stopped by and I could not help but feel for you. I do have an idea about a job that I think you would be exceptional at. Are you opposed to taking more school? It can be done through distance education too, so no need to be away from home. Look up an Education Assistant Program. I think you personally would enjoy this and do really well at it, not too mention the demand for them is high and the starting wage is $22-23/hr + benefits. Are you interested yet? :) If so give me a shout and I will give you all the info I have on it (which is lots because I have been researching it). Us 30'something Mom's have to stick together and not let each other end up at 16'something jobs.
:P

Anonymous said...

I vote for Rachel being an EA! You would do an awesome job!